LATEST CANCER INFORMATION
from Johns Hopkins
AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY AND ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY …
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to STARVE the cancer cells by not feeding it with foods it needs to multiple.
What cancer cells feed on:
a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Note: Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in colour. Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk, cancer cells will starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes t o nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells.
To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water--best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines will become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body's own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor.
Anger, unforgiving and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
NOT a very good choice if you are cooling off with vitamin water !
Vitaminwater has made a name for itself among the trendy new functional beverage lines, and with the help of popular celebrity spokespeople like Ellen DeGeneres sold 142 million cases last year.
At first glance, Vitaminwater sounds like nothing more than flavored water with added vitamins and minerals … even a seasoned health veteran may be fooled into believing that this is a good idea … vitamins, water, a great combination.
But when you start investigating the list of ingredients in Vitaminwater and similar beverages, the more you'll realize you're doing your body a great disservice by falling for the healthy illusion they've created.
It's very fitting that Coca-Cola owns the Vitaminwater brand, as this beverage is closer to soda than it is to water. And as you may remember, Coca-Cola was actually sued last year in a class-action lawsuit that contended the Vitaminwater line was being illegally promoted as a healthy product.
So let's take a look at what you're really drinking if you drink Vitaminwater …
What's Really in Vitaminwater? Fructose!
Oh yes, here we have it again. Big surprise, the number one source of calories in the US and the primary cause of the obesity epidemic is being used to sell this product.
"Vitaminwater is Coke's attempt to dress up soda in a physician's white coat. Underneath, it's still sugar water, albeit sugar water that costs about ten bucks a gallon," said litigation director Steve Gardner of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).
Actually I disagree with the "sugar water" part as pure cane sugar water is an order of magnitude healthier than free-floating fructose. When you drink Vitaminwater, what you really get is 33 grams -- more than six teaspoons -- of sugar, including crystalline fructose.
I recently began warning about this new variety of fructose, which may be even worse for your health than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). I recently exposed agave as being worse than HFCS but crystalline fructose is much worse than agave.
While many people mistakenly believe that fructose is an acceptable form of sweetener, it is far from healthy. Refined man-made fructose metabolizes to triglycerides and adipose tissue, not blood glucose. One major downside of this is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production.
Together, insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat, and several studies have linked dietary fructose to increased food intake and weight gain.
Additionally, fructose is also known to significantly raise your triglycerides, which puts you at an increased risk of heart disease.
Based on the latest research, crystalline fructose is definitely something you'll want to avoid as much as possible. Whereas regular HFCS contains 55 percent fructose and 45 percent glucose, crystalline fructose is at minimum 99 percent fructose, which could only mean that all the health problems associated with fructose may be even more pronounced with this product.
If anyone tries to tell you "sugar is sugar," they are way behind the times. There are major differences in how your body processes each one.
The bottom line is: fructose leads to increased belly fat, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome -- not to mention the long list of chronic diseases that directly result. As a standard recommendation, I strongly advise keeping your TOTAL fructose consumption below 25 grams per day … and this leaves no room for Vitaminwater in your diet.
And if that's not bad enough, crystalline fructose may also contain arsenic, lead, chloride and heavy metals.
Vitaminwater Also Contains Erythritol: What is It?
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, a type of sweetener that provides fewer calories than sugar. But despite the name, sugar alcohols are neither sugar nor alcohol. It is actually not that bad of a sweetener, far safer than artificial sweeteners, fructose and most of the other sugar alcohols, except xylitol.
They vary in sweetness from about half as sweet as sugar to equally as sweet. They're frequently combined with other low-calorie or artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, acesulfame-K, neotame, saccharin, or as in the case of Vitaminwater, crystalline fructose.
The reason sugar alcohols provide fewer calories than sugar is because they are not completely absorbed in your body. However, this fact has certain drawbacks, none of which are good.
High intakes of foods containing sugar alcohols can lead to adverse physical symptoms like abdominal gas and diarrhea. Some polyols are clearly worse than others. Sorbitol or mannitol-containing foods, for example, are so potent they must display a warning on their label stating "excess consumption may have a laxative effect."
Erythritol may actually offer an explanation to the many reports of ill after-effects from drinking Vitaminwater, such as:
If you gain nothing else from this article, let it serve as a reminder as to the importance of reading labels. As the saying goes, you can't judge a book by its cover … and you can't judge a food product by its cover either.
If you are opting to buy any processed food, make sure to flip it over and read the ingredients for yourself, regardless of how "healthy" it appears to be.
If You Want to Get More Vitamins …
In today's 24-7 world, people are looking for quick ways to maximize their nutrient intake. This is why Vitaminwater and its cronies are occupying ever-expanding sections of supermarket shelves. But let me tell you once again, when it comes to nutrition, there are no shortcuts.
You may be fooled by Vitaminwater's chic logo and health promises … but your body won't be.
Proper nutrition really begins with identifying your Nutritional Type, and then following the program, focusing on eating unprocessed, organic and locally grown foods.
About the best "shortcut" I could recommend if you're looking to increase your nutrient intake, fast, would be to invest in a high-quality vegetable juicer and start juicing your own veggies.
But no matter how you cut it, if you want to get all of the great health benefits that Vitaminwater promises -- reduced risk of chronic disease, more energy, a healthier immune system and so on -- you simply have to start paying attention to what you're eating.
For extra reassurance, a multivitamin can be beneficial, but not in the synthetic forms used in most energy drinks, flavored beverages and vitamin pills on the market. Your body needs nutrients in a natural whole food form, and this is the only type I recommend taking.
Is Vitaminwater Useful Post-Workout?
If you've been drinking Vitaminwater to recharge after a workout, I recommend saving your money. Less than 1 percent of those who use sports drinks actually benefit from them, as anything less than 45 minutes will not result in a large enough fluid loss to justify using a high-sugar drink like Vitaminwater.
And even if you're exercising for more than an hour, there are far better options to rehydrate yourself, such as fresh coconut water, which is one of the highest sources of electrolytes known to man.
For most average exercisers and athletes out there, Vitaminwater is a complete waste of your money. Your best bet for your primary fluid replacement -- while exercising or otherwise -- remains pure, fresh water. Dr. Mercola.
© 2015 by Karen Calandra. All rights reserved.
The content on this website is for informational purposes only. The information and any recommendations on this website are not intended to replace the advice of your qualified health care provider. Karen Calandra recognizes that no one person is the same, Your health care provider should always be consulted before beginning any new exercise, supplementation, nutritional guidance or health plan. Karen Calandra assumes no responsibility for any adverse effects arising from the suggest use or application of the information contained herein.